Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hyde Beach - Over the top Prices, but Still Keeping Things Classy


For every WMC, I try to plan a venue with that’s considered the latest and greatest hotspot. Last year it was the Arkadia pool, this year it had to be Hyde Beach at the SLS Hotel which had its very first year of WMC pool parties.

The Afrojack "Kings of Ace" pool party brought a slew of dutch electro artists to the lineup including a few tech house acts as well. Knowing that drink prices are expensive in Miami at the top notch places, we came prepared with flasked sunscreen bottles of vodka to sneak in. The only problem was that all of us were wearing string bags, which for some god awful reason this particular place does not allow. In fact my whole time here, it felt like SLS just wanted to find ridiculous ways to make their patrons less welcomed and up their douche factor by making up rules on the fly.

The crew at Hyde Beach, special thanks Baha Hallaby

So after scrambling around, Mike, myself, Gio, Chirag and our lovely rager Canadia lady friends were on our way in. I manage to get at least one screen bottle snuck in through the single pocket of my board shorts. Michelle, one of our Canadia friends brought some of her north of the border magic and managed to sneak in a bag of chips in a full sized grocery bags. If we knew better, we would've had her help us start a picnic in there.

Mike wasn't able to sneak much in, so he ends up ordering the very first drink at the bar. Needless to say, his reaction to the bill was all I needed to hear. $52 for two Vodka redbulls. Wow! I thought LIV Nightclub was outrageous, but these guys take it to the top for a day party.

The weather was highly unstable, so there was the occasional rain that would come and go. Michelle, Liv (our other lovely Candia friend) and I found some comfortable refuge in the euro style salted and heated side pool. This isn't the main pool facing the stage, but one off the side for relaxation and fun in the sun. Even though the drink prices were outrageous, Hyde Beach was the only close to Vegas pool experience I got during my entire WMC. I never got in the water again the rest of my trip at any other pool parties.


As the day wore on, the DJs came after one another. The ones left over to rage in the rain were the true WMC enthusiasts that came to support their artists. I was there during R3hab's set, and I believe I missed Afrojack by an hour. This is a typical dilemma that happens during a week of pool and night club raging. I just had to leave at a decent time so I can get to my next party. Maybe next year I will plan an entire day around Hyde Beach because this venue delivers, with ridiculous prices and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment