Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mekka Miami - The Red Headed Stepchild Club

After finding out at 9am that the cover was $80 at Space, we were looking for a budget party since were coming off an epic show from Ferry vs Markus at Mansion and we might only have an hour or two of rage left in us. We walked by the parking lot of Mekka and saw a ton of Orange Mekka wristbands on the floor. I randomly decided to pick up one up and used the sticky side to keep it together. All of my friends did the same, infact one of them had a generic Orange wristband which had no logo what so ever. So we walk up to the dark entrance which wasn't even a door, it was just a ripped black sheet they used as a curtain. The security points us in the direction to get our wristbands checked. The guy glances at it and just tells us all to walk in. Boom we just saved cover. 

So the dance floor is dark, almost like a crypt. I noticed they pump fog on there to make it even darker so you would have trouble seeing the girl's faces. There were about 12 girls and 3-4 guys to the sides like sharks trying to swoop up on them. I couldn't see the girl's faces to confirm that they weren't trannies, but they were all wearing tight pants so atleast I can be sure they are post-op. 
The bar serves drinks in small plastic cups. Like the ones you use as a rinse cup at Motel 6. The first one I bought I set it on a box. When the bass dropped the cup flew off and I lost a full drink. Turns out that box where people pass out on was a subwoofer. 

There was a couch which apparently is the "gay zone". There were 6 guys sitting very close to each other. I walked by and one of the random ones there offered me a cigarette to start a conversation. "No thank you."

Mike B said from last year that he never found the bathroom. So I put myself on this quest to find this secret bathroom. There are 6 doors labeled as 'Exits' in this club. 1 is the first entrance you walked in which you will lose clearly since the lay out is like a haunted Halloween maze. Then there are 4 more which apparently they use some ply wood to jam it so you won't be able to open it. Then there was this last entrance next to back bar where I see a security guy in a red Mekka shirt passed out on the chair. This door leads to the bathroom. 

So I walk into the guys bathroom, and the first thing I see is an attendant sitting on a chair, but his head is actually in one of the sink and hes passed out sleeping or throwing up, who knows. I guess I won't be getting my hands dry if I decide to wash my hands. Then one of the stall doors open, and 5 guys rush in. They spend a good 10 minutes in there sniffing around, so I finally gave up and decided to pour my flask out in the open next to the urinals. I got my drink made and walked out of there. Weirdest bathroom experience ever. 

The night continued with countless randoms coming in. Some getting scared immediately and leaving, others staying there to continue their rage well into the afternoon of the next day. I spent a total of 2 hours there just watching the DJ drop some epic minimal techno and tech house tracks. Then I look back at the crowd and their reaction never changes. Just standing around like zombies and doing the same moves over and over again. I finally decided to call it a night.. or day at about 11:30. I ended up taking the bus across the block because cabs don't stop infront of Mekka. All in all it was a surreal experience, and I see myself coming back here again next WMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment